I found it nearly impossible to contain my list to ten and certainly gave up on ranking them. This list is subject to change based on my mood, your feedback or just on a whim!
My "criteria" basically came down to movies that:
1. Were Memorable or impactful growing up (mostly the 80's)
2. In 2016, might be considered "retro"
3. Had great music (or at least music I like... :))
4. I often quote from
5. I watch whenever they appear on TV (commercials and all) even if I own the movie.
So....let's start the argument, let me know what I missed or question how I could include or exclude something from the top ten.
Edd's Top Ten
The Breakfast Club, 1986
Quote: John: "Hey, how come Andrew gets to get up? If he gets up, we'll all get up, it'll be anarchy."
Actor: Judd Nelson (John Bender)
Music: Don't You (Forget About Me), Simple Minds
The Princess Bride, 1987
Quote: Miracle Max and Valerie: "Have fun storming the castle."
Actor: Billy Crystal (Miracle Max)
Music: hmmmm...not sure I have one.
Raiders of the Lost Ark, 1981
Quote: Indiana: “Snakes. Why’d it have to be snakes?”
Actor: Harrison Ford (Indiana Jones)
Music: Raiders of the Lost Ark, John Williams and the Boston Pops
American Graffiti, 1973
Quote: Terry Fields: "Let me have a Three Musketeers, and a ball point pen, and one of those combs there, a pint of Old Harper, a couple of flash light batteries and some beef jerky."
Actor: Pau Le Mat (John Milner)
Music: Green Onions, Booker T. & the M.G.’s
Better Off Dead, 1985
Quote: Lane Myer: "Gee, I'm real sorry your mom blew up, Ricky."
Actor: John Cusack (Lane Meyer)
Music: Everybody Wants Some!, Van Halen
Quote: Ren: [to Willard] Hey, I like that hat, man. They sell men's clothes where you got that?
Actor: Kevin Bacon (Ren McCormack)
Music: I’m Free, Kenny Loggins
Quote: Private Hudson: "That's it, man. Game over, man. Game over!"
Actor: Bill Paxton, (Private Hudson)
Music: Futile Escape, James Horner
Say Anything, 1989
- Quote: Lloyd Dobler: I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.
- Actor: John Cusack (Lloyd Dobler)
- Music: In Your Eyes, Peter Gabriel
Dead Poet's Society, 1989
- Quote: John Keating: "Carpe diem, seize the day. Gather ye rosebuds while ye may."
- Actor: Robin Williams (Professor John Keating)
- Music: Keating’s Triumph, Maurice Jarre & Peter Weir
The Empire Strikes Back, 1980
- Quote: Yoda: No. "Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
- Actor: Harrison Ford (Han Solo)
- Music: Main Title, John Williams & London Symphony
Here are an additional 45 movies that are my favs but did not make the Top Ten:
The Jerk, 1979
Fast Times at Ridgemont High, 1982
Star Wars, 1977
St. Elmo's Fire, 1985
Real Genius, 1985
A Christmas Story, 1983
Less Than Zero, 1987
This is Spinal Tap, 1984
Pretty in Pink, 1986
Corvette Summer, 1978
Top Gun, 1986
Young Guns, 1988
War Games, 1983
Close Encounters of the Third Kind, 1977
Sixteen Candles, 1984
The Lost Boys, 1987
Repo Man, 1984
Planes, Trains and Automobiles, 1987
Lean On Me, 1989
Ferris Bueller's Day Off, 1986
Red Dawn, 1984
Die Hard, 1988
The Blues Brothers, 1980
La Bamba, 1987
The Cannonball Run, 1981
Blade Runner, 1982
Risky Business, 1983
All The Right Moves, 1983
Beverly Hills Cop, 1984
Stand By Me, 1986
Some Kind of Wonderful, 1987
The Secret of My Success, 1987
Rain Man, 1988
Animal House, 1978